How to Volunteer
The VVMTA relies on a small army of locals dedicated to soft surface trails in the Vail Valley. Without these incredible volunteers the VVMTA would not exist. Every volunteer hour contributed has a measurable positive impact, so get on board to help us build and maintain your favorite trail!
Volunteer & Membership Rewards Program
- An annual program to reward our generous, hard working volunteers, donors, and members…the core supporters of our organization.
- Members and Donors who join and contribute financially to support our programs, initiatives, and help further the mission of the VVMTA
- Volunteers that contribute at least 6 hours of time in an annual year with Adopt A Trail, Wildlife Trail Ambassadors, Minturn Bike Park Ambassadors, and/or VVMTA & HTC Trail Crews
- Learn more about the local business rewards being offered here
- Membership Rewards Card is active for one year from the date of your donation or when you hit 6 hours of volunteering
- Volunteers receive the same local rewards card, ExpertVoice Pro Deal access and swag. Volunteers who work more than 15 hours in a year = VVMTA branded Patagonia hoody!
- Both members and volunteers receive quarterly newsletter, 15% discount on VVMTA swag, and discount on VVMTA events and partner event tickets
Volunteer Trail Crew
The VVMTA Trail Crew meets between late April – September every Wednesday night.
The VVMTA Women’s Trail Crew meets once a month fro May – September. Upcoming dates are June 22, July 13, August 3, and September 16
The HTC Trail Crew meets between April – September the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of the Month
- May through September – 5:00pm – Dusk
- Location is TBD but will be shared through our newsletter, on our event calendar, and our Facebook or Instagram pages
- Wear closed toe shoes, gloves, sunscreen, sunglasses, and long pants
- Bring water and a snack – food & beverages normally provided post trail work!
- Open to all: men, women, kids, dogs, etc…the more the merrier!
- Never dug trail? No worry, we are trained trail crew leaders and will give you lessons and tutorials!
Our trail crew nights are a great way to give back to our community trails, meet new people, get a workout, and have fun all at the same time. Any questions please send us an e-mail: [email protected]
Adopt A Trail
Want to help maintain our trails and can’t make Wednesday nights work? We’d be happy to connect you with one of our AAT Teams to join them on their trail work days. You can find the list of organizations and trails adopted on our AAT page.
To get connected please e-mail our Program Director, Erinn, at [email protected]
Wildlife Trail Ambassador Program
Launched in the Spring of 2018, the Wildlife Trail Ambassador program is a great way to volunteer without the heavy lifting of trail work.
In an effort to mitigate our declining wildlife population, the program was launched to educate and inform trail users as to why seasonal closures exist, offer education about local flora and fauna, and spread the ‘Leave No Trace” principles. There are options to be a Field Ambassador or Social Ambassador through the program:
- Field Ambassadors – Primary focus is on winter and spring trail closures. They will be present at trailhead closure gates to offer gentle reminders about why we have seasonal closures. They are also welcome to be active in the summer on any AAT trail when they are open to help educate people about leave no trace principles.
- Social Ambassadors – Are active within the community visiting businesses, clubs, and groups to spread awareness about our sensitive ecology and human impacts.
For a full description of the volunteer opportunities and to watch our trainings please follow this link. You can find the 2020 Ambassador Review to read about the successes of the program last year. To learn more and sign-up please contact our Program Director, Erinn, at [email protected]
Minturn Bike Park Ambassador Program
Do you spend a lot of time enjoying the Minturn Bike Park? Then help us maintain it by being our eyes and ears while you are out there! We need help:
- Removing invasive weeds
- Answering questions from other bike park users
- Educating bike park users on proper etiquette
- Providing us with any other items, suggestions, or issues that you see
Shifts can be as long or as short as you’d like. Volunteer 6+ hours and receive a Minturn Bike Park Ambassador hat and t-shirt from Ski Town All-Stars. You will also gain access to our rewards program. Volunteer 15+ hours through any of our programs and receive a VVMTA branded Patagonia hoody.
Custom Trail Work Day for Your Team
Are you looking for a way to give back to our community’s trails? Contact us to create a customized trail work day with the VVMTA. We will provide tools, training, leadership, and a project/trail that meets your needs. Projects could include:
- Typically minimum of 2 hours to maximum of 6 hours
- Teams can be as small as 6 and up to 150
Trail work days are social events, fun, a great way to exercise, and great for team building. Please reach out to Ernest at [email protected] to learn more.
Other Volunteer Committees
More info to come soon…