Every spring and winter on Forest Service land, BLM in Eagle, Eagle Open Space, Eagle County Open Space, and the West Avon Preserve there are several trail closures that may alter bikers and hikers plans.
The reasons for the trail closures are deer and elk winter range, calving, and migration. Spring is a sensitive time of year for pregnant and nursing females. It is a fact that minimizing human disturbance with seasonal trail closures gives the animals time and space to nurse calves until they are strong enough to move with the herds.
The closures are there for the protection of wildlife during the sensitive birthing period and to protect soils, vegetation, watershed and fisheries during the mud season. We ask that you respect the following closures out of concern for our natural environment.
Forest Service Seasonal Trail Closures:
- North Trail #1896: Closed April 15 – June 20
- Buffehr Creek #2111: Closed April 15 – June 20
- Son of Middle Creek #2136: Closed April 15 – June 20
- Paulie’s Plunge/Stone Creek #2349: Closed May 15 – June 20
- Two Elk #2005: from the west (Minturn) entrance at the second bridge (approximately 1 mile up the trail) to the east end at the Vail Bike Path: Closed May 6 – June 30
- Whiskey Creek #2348: Closed November 23 – June 20
- Eastern Hillside #2347: Closed December 1 – June 20
- Knob Hill #2021: Closed December 15 – April 15
- Everkrisp Trail #2122: Closed November 23 – June 20
Beaver Creek Seasonal Trail Closures from May 6 – July 1
Eagle Area Seasonal Trail Closures:
December 1 – April 15 (BLM trails & roads)
- East Eagle (Pool & Ice, Dirt Surfer, Will’s Thrill, Hillbilly, Bellyache Road Gate)*Closed to mechanized (bikes) and motorized use. Open to foot and equestrian year round.
December 1 – July 1 (Brush Creek Valley Ranch & Open Space)
- 3 Sisters Trail
- *Closed to all users: foot, bike, and equestrian
- Hikers and equestrian users will still be able to utilize the Salt Creek area of the Brush Creek Valley Ranch and Open Space
December 15 – April 15 (Town of Eagle trails)
- Third Loop of Haymaker
- Extra Credit
- Eagle Ranch – All trails including Lov Connection
- Closed to all users: foot, bike, equestrian, and motorized
January 16 – April 15 (BLM trails & roads)
- West Eagle – NO ACCESS from Eagle beginning December 15. All trails must be accessed via Spring Creek Rd in Gypsum or Hardscrabble Rd until January 16 closure.
- *Closed to mechanized (bikes) and motorized use. Open to foot and equestrian year round.
West Avon Preserve Seasonal Trail Closures: December 15 – April 15
- All West Avon Preserve Trails except Our Backyard, PB&J, and Beaver Creek Point.
Other Seasonal Trail Closures:
December 1 – April 15
What Trails Are Open?
Muddy trails are always closed trails. These trails are open (pending conditions):
Mountain Biking, Hiking, & Equestrian Trails:
- West Avon Preserve
- Mini Mile
- Eagle – East Eagle, West Eagle, Eagle Ranch
- Haymaker, Boneyard, Redneck Ridge, Bellyache Rd
Hiking/Equestrian Trails Only:
- Booth Creek
- Pitkin Creek
- Deluge Lake
- Gore Creek Trail
- North Trail
- Son of Middle Creek
- EagleVail Trail
- Homestead Open Space
- Berry Creek Trails and Mesquite Trail
- Full Nelson, Half Nelson, Line Shack/Meadow Mountain
- And many more: West Lake Creek, East Lake Creek, Browns Loop, Buck Creek, etc.
Protect our wildlife, protect our trails. Become a Wildlife Trail Ambassador. Watch our 2020 training videos and learn about the science, data, and importance of why seasonal wildlife closures exist. Do your part and help educate and inform trail users on the importance of respecting seasonal wildlife trail closures, trail etiquette, and leaven no trace principles.